Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter

Here's something suitably weird...



"Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter", a western/monster movie, was released in 1966 as part of a double-feature genre-bending grindhouse/drive-in schlockfest with "Billy the Kid versus Dracula"; both directed by William "One-Shot" Beaudine, veteran director of over 350 known films and hundreds of TV episodes. In 1966, when he made them, he was the oldest active director in Hollywood, at age 74.

"One Shot" was prolific not only because of his propensity for shooting the least amount of takes possible (hence his sobriquet), but also because he started in the early days of the film industry, when one- and two-reelers were ground out like sausages. The entire movie was shot 8 days.

In this movie we learn the valuable and wholesomely PC lesson that female mad scientists can be just as insane as their male counterparts and are fully capable of ranting and raving and speechifying on and on about dubious scientific projects of no earthly use whatsoever to which they have devoted themselves body and soul just as well as any man (so why don't we see more of them?).

Interesting factoid: The lab equipment was provided by Ken Strickfaden, who used the same gadgets in the Frankenstein films made by Universal, as well as "Young Frankenstein" (1974). This is one of the few times the equipment was filmed in color.

The plot: Legendary western outlaw Jesse James encounters the GRANDDAUGHTER (yes, the movie's title is wrong folks... let that oversight clue you in on what you are getting into here ;) of the infamous Dr. Frankenstein. Maria Frankenstein proceeds to transform Jesse's slow-witted pal Hank into a bald zombie (which she names Igor), despite the protestations of her brother Rudolph and the heroic snooping and meddling abilities of villager Juanita.

Cast includes John Lupton as Jesse James, Narda Onyx as Dr. Maria Frankenstein, Estelita Rodriguez as Juanita Lopez, Cal Bolder as Hank Tracy / Igor, Jim Davis as Marshal MacPhee and Steven Geray as Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein.

FEAR Frankenstein's monster reborn!

Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "It’s because we’ve been forced to use the brains of children that we’ve failed. What we need is a man - a powerful man - a giant! Then we will succeed!"
Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "But what - what good will it do to succeed?"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "Imagine! We’ll have someone to do our bidding who can’t be put to death! Just as we have given it life, only we can take its life away!"


Be ASTOUNDED by the advanced "science"

Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "What a fool I’ve been! I’ve allowed the duo-thermal impulsator to be attached only to the body! Let’s see what Grandfather’s notation says.... You see? The duo-thermal impulsator must also be attached to a living brain, to transmit living vibrations to the artificial brain!"
Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "But such a powerful electric impulse might prove fatal to the brain of a living person!"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "That chance I am willing to take!"


WATCH as Maria Frankenstein defies both God and Man!

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Maria, we’ve already caused the deaths of three children, and violated the graves of others, just to make the experiments!"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "My, you’re a humanitarian! You should have stayed in Europe and given pink pills to sweet old ladies!"

Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "This is the last artificial brain Grandfather Frankenstein made. The secret of how to make them died with him. If I fail in this last attempt, I too am willing to die!"
Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Is it so terrible to fail?"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "You’re a fool, Rudolph! We hold the secret of life in our hands!"
Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Maria, Maria! This has already cost Grandfather his life! And Father---"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "Father was a weakling! He dared not try the experiments - only on paper! You know, Rudolph, sometimes I think you remind me of Father...."

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "This wound is bad - it festers!"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "It is not important. He is as strong as a giant! What a brute he’ll make!"

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Maria, please stop these terrible experiments! We’ll have another death on our conscience!"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "Don’t be an imbecile! If I turned him over to the marshall he’d be hanged anyway! So what has he got to lose?"

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "What you are going to do is insane!"
Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "We shall soon see which one of us is insane!"

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Maria, this isn't the same as experimenting on one of the village children! Jesse James will kill us!"

Dr. Rudolph Frankenstein: "Don’t do it, Maria! You are going too far! No-one should tamper with the laws of God!"

Dr. Maria Frankenstein: "You are no longer Hank Tracy! You are now - Igor! Do you understand? Igor! That is how you will be known! I am Maria Frankenstein! As I think, you will think! We are one! I will command, you will obey! You will live as long as I will it! You will die when I command it! Remember, you are always under my control! You are now Igor! I command you to arise! Igor! I am Maria Frankenstein! I created you! I created you! I command you to get up! Get up, Igor!"



Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (aka Jesse James Meets Frankenstein)
1966
XVID
430 mb
5-part download

Part01

Part02

Part03

Part04

Part05

2 comments:

Rob G. said...

One of these days, I need to actually watch this damn thing. I think I own about a dozen public domain collections with this on it. :D

Azathoth said...

Its kinda hard to sit through all of it if your not prepared to heckle it Mystery Science Theater style - it drags in some places (too much b movie western influence, not enough monster movie)- but its got some amusing dialog, pretty much all of it coming from Maria Frankenstein. And dig the trippy colors on those duo-thermal impulsator mind helmets ;)