Sunday, October 12, 2008

H minus 19 (2): Hallowe'en: A Musical Fantasy (composed & narrated by Lionel Barrymore)

Well the other end of Leng is being stupid and not letting me make a post today, so after hours of annoyance (and yelling some words I can't repeat here ;), I am giving up and putting this here in the Dungeon even tho it totally screws up my organization of different kinds of things between the two blogs. (grrr...) So if you don't see a post over there for today, that's why.

Anyway, here's Hallowe'en: A Musical Fantasy, composed & narrated by Lionel Barrymore from a set of 1947 78 rpm records. Its a very old school Disney-like type of musical just so you know what yer in for.




Liner Notes: "This is the story of a little girl named Myrtle, and Myrtle's dreams of wonderful things. It's the story of Boo Boo the big bear in the woods who stole little children, and of six delightful little elves who popped out of eggs and rescued Myrtle from the bear.

For the benefit of grown-ups, (although you children may be interested, too) I originally wrote the composition for piano and narrator, but since then prepared it for a symphony orchestra. I felt the story had great musical possibilities, especially the scene where the little elves become hypnotized by a flame of light."

Cast Includes:

Lionel Barrymore (narrator), Marion Bell (Myrtle), Edward Lear (Bertle the shoemaker) and John Ford (the woodsman).

Conductor: Miklos Rozsa

I believe this originated, as most things in the universe have, from Jason over at Scar Stuff, although I got it from a non blog source.


clicky bit in comments...
|
|
V

3 comments:

Azathoth said...

--> Hallowe'en: A Musical Fantasy

Anonymous said...

Lionel Barrymore as in the grand-uncle of Drew Barrymore?

Azathoth said...

something like that