Friday, October 10, 2008

H Minus 20: Day of the Triffids

Today is the Day of the Triffids!

The majority of the population has been blinded by a strange meteor shower, which also brought spores for triffidus celestus, a mobile man-eating plant, which is even now feasting on the blind and helpless. Will our sighted heroes survive in this horror sci-fi cult classic from 1962? Watch and see in wondrous new CinemaScope!





6 comments:

John Rozum said...

I haven't had a chance to post comments as much as I'd like to, but I've been enjoying each day of your countdown. I just wanted you to know that.

Azathoth said...

Thanks John :) I'm trying. I had a lot of stuff ready to post but it all got wiped out when my drives died so its good to hear what I've been coming up with by winging it day to day is entertaining someone.

I haven't been able to comment or even check out as many of the other blogs as much as I'd like to either.

Once the countdown is over I'll probably have a month's worth of catching up to do looking through all the other posts.

I've been enjoying all the cool pictures and the riddles on your site.

Gray Witch said...

I didn't like the film, but the book on the other hand was very, very good!

Azathoth said...

Its not one of my all time most favorite films either, but I do have some kinda nostalgic soft spot for it. Saw it when I was little and something of it has always stuck with me.

Did you read the book before you saw the movie? That usually ruins any chance I have to like a movie because they are almost never as good as the book. Of course most movies coming out of Hollywood these days are horrible and suck in any case - I'll take a cheesy B movie like Day of The Triffids over that stuff any day.

Gray Witch said...

Most of the horror films now look like extended music videos. Ghastly.

I read the book long after I saw the film. It was written by John Wyndham, who wrote "The Midwich Cuckoos". That book was made into a great British film with George Saunders, and a terrible remake with Christopher Reeves.

I liked some of the Triffids movie, though the book was WAY grimmer in it's themes of people taking advantage of each other, and the ending was very bleak.

Azathoth said...

hmmm, I'll have to check the book out sometime. Sounds like something I definitely need to put on my official 99% Infinite (But Slightly Finite) List Of Books I Need To Read If Only I Could Buy Them All (TM)